Kitware is pleased to announce the release of VolView 2.0, a powerful volume visualization and analysis system that allows researchers to view and process data from a variety of imaging modalities including CT, MRI, and confocal microscopy. VolView is also used to visualize the results of scientific simulations, and synthesized volumetric data. VolView is designed for ease-of-use, flexibility, and performance on standard desktop systems.
VolView 2.0 has many new features including:
- Support for all data types (unsigned char through double)
- Support for up to four independent components
- Support for color/alpha, RGB, and RGBA volumes
- Over 30 basic and advanced image processing filters
- Plug-in API allows any developer to extend filtering capabilities
- Collaboration between two VolView sessions
- New interactive annotation widgets:
- Color bar, scale bar, orientation marker
- Distance / angle measurement
- Cropping tool, 2D / 3D markers
- Improved system performance and feedback
- Integrated animation tool
- Improved transfer function editor with more presets
- Oblique probe / oblique image view
- Automatic initial transfer function based on data
- Improved lighting control
- Redesigned user interface with customizable panels
VolView 2.0 may be downloaded from the VolView web site.
Through an initiative with the National Library of Medicine, VolView has harnessed the power of the Insight Segmentation and Registration Toolkit (ITK) for advanced image processing algorithms. Many techniques are available in this release of VolView, with more expected through the involvement of the ITK community. Filters are accessed from VolView through a public filter “plugin” API that allows developers to employ their latest image processing techniques from within a powerful visualization system. The VolView filter plugin functionality has many benefits: it allows access to ITK functionality for non-programmers, it creates a vehicle for sharing and comparing segmentation techniques, and it serves as a visual debugger for algorithm developers.
VolView 2.0 is offered in two versions: Free Mode and Professional Mode. In Free Mode, VolView has full visualization and image processing capabilities. In Professional Mode, additional functionality such as data annotation, collaboration, animation, lightbox, and oblique probing are available. A 30-day trial of VolView 2.0 Professional Mode is provided, which will revert to Free Mode after the trial period expires.
More information on VolView can be obtained by visiting the VolView web site (ref), sending email to email@example.com, or calling 1-518-371-3971. VolView 2.0 is currently available on Windows platforms. Linux and Mac OSX releases are expected in early 2004.
Kitware, Inc. is a leading software development company providing products and services in the areas of medical image analysis, visualization and 3D graphics, supercomputing, computer vision, open publication, and software quality process. Kitware is known for its advanced open source software tools such as the widely used Visualization Toolkit (VTK), Insight Segmentation and Registration Toolkit (ITK), and the CMake build management software. Established in 1998, Kitware is rapidly growing to support top research and development clients around the world; including such prestigious customers as the US National Labs (Sandia, Los Alamos, Livermore, and Argonne), the National Institutes of Health, the Army and Air Force Research labs, and a variety of academic, commercial and governmental research labs. Our commercial customers range from Fortune 500 oil and gas companies to small medical imaging start ups.