VTK 6.2 has entered the release candidate stage. You can find the source, data, and new vtkpython binary packages here:
Please try this version of VTK and report any issues to the list or the bug tracker so that we can try to address them before VTK 6.2.0 final.
Some of the cooler things I saw when browsing the git log and perusing the feedback that commiters sent me were:
* refactored how pieces and extents are handled in the pipeline.
* vtkSMP is growing
* VTK on the MIC!
* VTK output to cinema, including value rendering for deferred colormaps and lighting from raw images
* ActiViz.Net it's alive!!!
* vtk via Maven – hopefully PIP will follow, and maybe an SDK eventually?
* vtkPythonAlgorithm and numpy updates – why compile anything?
* OpenGL2 – this is going to be great
* SpaceMouse devices, I bet this can make modeling fun.