ParaView 3.4 release is now available for download from the ParaView website. It is also available through CVS; the tag is ParaView-3-4. Since the 3.2 release, we have been focusing on usability; 3.4 contains many improvements and bug fixes.
The major changes since 3.4 are:
- VTK and ParaView are now licensed under the BSD license as opposed to modified BSD.
- The multi-block and AMR support was improved significantly. Almost all filters, spreadsheet view and charts now support these datasets.
- The selection capabilities of ParaView were significantly improved. For details, see the July 2008 Kitware Source.
- Support for plotting multiple point/cell values over time.
- Support for picking end-points of line widgets using ‘p’.
- Support for scene exporters. Supported formats are X3D (binary and ascii), VRML 2 and POV (Persistence of Vision Raytracer).
- Temporal statistics filter that can be used to find average, min, max and standard deviation of arrays over time.
- 2D views / slice representation for volumes (vtkImage-Data).
- Box and sphere widgets for slicing and clipping.
- Cube axes used to show scale of a dataset.
- Multiple selections using ctrl (command on Mac). When performing selection after the first time, hold ctrl to add to the existing selection.
Improvements to Existing Features
- Plug-in improvements.
- Added an option to disable off-screen rendering while saving images. This option should be turned on if ParaView crashes when saving images.
Changed the default width of the scalar bar; also tweaked the way scalar bar scaling works.
- Improved partial array support (when an array exists only in some of the blocks of a multi-block dataset).
- Fixed many widgets for floating point numbers, enabling higher precision.
Reader and Writer Improvements
- Readers for MFIX and Fluent.
- Support for loading file series from the command line as well as from the recent file menu.
- Support for saving multi-block polygonal datasets as a collection
of STL or PLY files.
- Support for file series of XML based VTK files.
- Updated XDMF reader to XDMF 2.
For a complete list of features and fixes, see the ParaView 3.4 Release Notes on the ParaView Wiki.